Apply for the Walter Harrison Scholarship Today!
Deadline - January 30, 2021
WALTER HARRISON SCHOLARSHIP FUND CRITERIA
1. The recipient’s primary residence must be the household of an EMC member or EMC employee. EMC
members and employees are also eligible.
2. The recipient must be enrolled in an accredited program, either full-time or part-time.
3. The recipient must be an undergraduate student only.
4. The scholarship fund will be in the form of a grant program with funds being paid to the
college, university or technical school.
5. A person may submit an application each year, but previous winners are not eligible for a
6. The scholarship fund will provide $1,000 for each scholarship winner’s educational expenses.
The number of scholarships will depend on the fund earnings.
7. Scholarship use must commence within one year of date of issuance and be totally utilized
within two years of the date of issuance. The school shall return any unused funds to the
8. The scholarship may be used at any two-year or four-year accredited college or university in
Georgia including technical schools.
9. A combination of need and academic ability will be used in determining scholarship fund
10. Each EMC may submit one application for each one-time $1,000 that they have contributed to the
fund to the executive committee for consideration in choosing the scholarship fund winners.
11. An executive committee will oversee the scholarship fund. This committee will consist of the
Chairman of the Board of GEMC, the Vice-Chairman of the Board of GEMC, the Chairman of the Services
Committee, the Manager of Planters EMC, the Manager of Excelsior EMC, and the Chief Executive
Officer of GEMC (ex officio member).
12. Georgia Southern University will administer the scholarship fund.
13. Scholarship winners must notify their EMC Walter Harrison Scholarship Coordinator of their
acceptance of the award and the name of the school they plan to attend by June 1st or they will
forfeit the scholarship.
Revised August 22, 2018